moving content off of the draft wiki

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 05:49:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 05:07:05PM +1000, Christopher Curran wrote:

> I think the original posters point was that the docs are hard to
> find.

And Paul's point is that there is not a paid staff person to take
requests from this list and "make it happen, Number One."

Myself, I'm *not* going to do stuff like that right now.  There has
been too much of myself and Paul running around for years doing all
the Docs wet work instead of figuring out how to make it easier and
cleaner for others to do things.  Obviously our methods have had some
deep failure, which is one reason we are switching styles.

That's why I've been concentrating on enabling other people over doing
stuff.  Which has hurt this release and caused delays in e.g content
to Translation, because we continue to be short handed and not very
good at enabling new people to help with the workload.

> All of the examples link to a vast swathe of documentation from their
> docs links. The fedora docs page looks like this:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ . There is nothing there by comparison.
> There are lots of documents in the Draft document section of the wiki
> which are more than up to scratch to go there instead. Can't we just put
> all the documents there by default and then cut the docs that aren't good
> enough to a "needs work" section or something. There should be no reason
> to write a howto in the first place the docs should just be there.
>
> The real question is there anything to be gained by the present system
> over having all our documentation available from the
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ link. I can't see any real reasons. Have a
> look at the ubuntu docs page (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/) That's a
> pretty comprehensive set of links. We have most of those topics covered in
> our wiki but they aren't linked from our docs page.

If you or anyone else creates a replacement for the docs.fp.org page
that links to all that content, I'll put it up straight away.  Here's
a good place to start drawing from:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation

As for the wiki, there are several smart things we can do:

1. Move pages to better names -- CamelCase fails on MediaWiki
   - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure
   - discussion on fedora-wiki-list
   - git clone git+ssh//git.fedoraproject.org/git/wikirename.git
     - files we want to work on are:
       docsproject.psv
       docs.psv

2. Put in *every documentation page* one of these two category links

   [[Category:Documentation]] -- if it is good enough to call "done
   			      	 for now"

   [[Category:Draft Documentation]] -- if you want it considered a
   		    		       draft

3. Use other templates such as {{needs love}} for pages that should be
fixed so they can be worth linking from other pages

Chris -- my major concern right now is not creating more mess and
chaos.  I want to move fast with a modicum of caution.  I really don't
think we have any fundamental disagreements, and it's great that you
are coming in with a fresh eye that hates the cruft you see around
you.  Keep engaged, you'll see good changes.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41