prompts in command examples

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Oct 2 19:20:08 UTC 2008

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 22:32 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>> Note that the su command removes the need for the user to look for
>> niggling prompt details.  It also clarifies that the user should
>> expect a prompt for the root password.

In theory, no-one should ever have (to have) the root password. It
should be changed regularly and the actual password can be (should be)
stored in a (very) safe location.

In practice of course though, this *almost* never ever happens, and that
IMHO is a bad thing.

Using "su -c" in documentation is not going to facilitate improving that
situation, while the alternative is:

> In part of that discussion with the Content Services team, we discussed
> the need for sudo to be enabled by default.  One person was in favor of
> having each document specify how to enable sudo, but I don't like that
> rat hole.  That is another point we could discuss, however, if any
> Anonymous Cowards are interested in fixing the common usage.  Meanwhile,
> I'm advocating for a sane sudo-by-default in future Fedora versions so
> we can stop having to use 'su -c'.

There appears to be a growing wish for having the first user (entered
during firstboot) be sudo-enabled, how can we actually make it so,
process-technically speaking?

-Jeroen