Self-introduction: Doran L. Barton (fozz or fozzmoo)

Doran L. Barton fozz at iodynamics.com
Mon Sep 1 20:22:13 UTC 2008

Hello!

I am Doran L. Barton and am known by some online as 'fozz' or 'fozzmoo'. I
live in Riverton, UT (USA) which is a suburb of Salt Lake City. I am a
graduate of Utah State University with a BS degree in Computer Science and
am currently employed by a small Salt Lake City business named
KnowledgeBlue where I hold the title of Chief Architect and Director of
Technology. Prior to this, I ran a small consultancy specializing in
Linux-based solutions for businesses.

As a matter of background and history, I began using open source software
in the early 1990s while I was an off and on student. I began teaching Unix
Administration courses full-time in 1992 and continued to teach part-time
or on a contract basis when I returned to my studies. I first used Red Hat
Linux in 1995 and continued using it as a server and then as my primary
desktop and transitioned into Fedora when the Fedora project was created.

My technical background is as a developer and systems administrator. My
core competency as a programmer lies in Perl but I have a significant
amount of exposure to Java, C, C++, PHP, and, of course, the Unix shell.

As a systems administrator, I've gotten my hands dirty with Linux-HA,
Sendmail, PostgreSQL, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, MySQL, Bind, and OpenLDAP.

As a user, I primarily use KDE and XFCE. I used to use Gnome and Afterstep,
but along the way switched away.

I've written a number of Fedora or open source-related articles which have
been posted on my personal website <http://www.fozzilinymoo.org/> or on my
blog <http://www.fozzilinymoo.org/Fozzolog/>.

My technical writing skill is very good, I think. My "computer" skills are
off the charts. I am very good at raw HTML and CSS. I'm not a Javascript or
Ajax wizard, but would like to be.

Other skills... I do a lot of video editing as a hobby. It's the one thing
that keeps Windows on one computer in my office.

I met our fearless leader at the Utah Open Source Conference this last
weekend and hereby answer his challenge to (finally) get involved as a
contributor.

I look forward to working with you all.

GPG info:
pub   1024D/B833AF41 2004-11-16
      Key fingerprint = 3DB6 0BA8 1BF7 3F60 F33F  0C0C 7D2C ED99 B833 AF41
uid                  Doran L. Barton <doran.barton at knowledgeblue.com>
uid                  Doran L. Barton (Fozziliny G. Moo) <fozz at xmission.com>
uid                  Doran L. Barton (Fozziliny Moo) <fozz at iodynamics.com>
sub   2048g/C8E3CD78 2004-11-16

--
fozz at iodynamics.com is Doran L. "Fozz" Barton
 "Auto Repair Service. Free Pick-up and delivery.  Try us once, you'll