review for user account policy

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:27:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 12:06 -0400, Jason wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 11:50 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > Any comments on this?
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem#Account_Termination
> >
> > Mike is setting some policy[1] as per a thread on f-advisory-board[2].
> >
> > [1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-September/msg00001.html
> > [2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-August/msg00122.html
> >
> > Feel free to edit that content if you see something that is clear, or
> > send your comments back here.  I believe Mike is subscribed to this
> > list, so we can get his input when needed.
> >
> > - Karsten
> > --
>
> I am wondering if we should write a more formal AUP and tack it onto FAS
> account creation. For example, on the last signup page have the AUP text
> and a "by clicking continue/finish you agree to these terms/policies.."
> clause. The AUP should ideally outline reasons for account termination,
> revocation of some/all privileges, etc..My $0.02...

On the one hand, I know there are a handful of courtesies and rules that
would make sense for Infrastructure to establish.  But on the other hand
we don't want to get regulation-happy in Fedora.  The freedom to
experiment needs to be preserved, and if that means we have to confront
the odd situation where someone is breaking the system a bit, we can do
a limited number of ad-hoc fixes.  With an AUP I would be concerned that
we would make the rules too tight and shut off an otherwise acceptable
(if unplanned) use.

--
Paul W. Frields