using public domain documents in fedorahosted projects

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:49:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 07:55 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Licenses/CLA> states:
>
> '7. Should you wish to submit work that is not your original creation,
> you may submit it to the Project separately from any Contribution,
> identifying the complete details of its source and of any license or
> other restriction (including, but not limited to, related patents,
> trademarks, and license agreements) of which you are personally aware,
> and conspicuously marking the work as "Submitted on behalf of a
> third-party: [named here] ". '
>
> Does this apply to fedorahosted projects as well? Does this mean I can
> not use/copy+paste text from a public domain document (even if it is
> cited) if it is going to be stored on fedorahosted?

This probably belongs on fedora-legal-list; moving the discussion there.
Certainly there is nothing actually *barring* you from submitting a
public domain work, and the CLA is not intended to do that either.  I
think the intent of this paragraph is to ensure contributors meet their
obligations when submitting work that has some sort of restrictive
license attached, and the contributor isn't also copyright holder.

We are working on a draft for a new and clearer CLA, so if nothing else
this is a point we should be addressing therein.

--
Paul W. Frields ("IANAL, TINLA, blah blah blah.")