review for user account policy

Christopher Curran ccurran at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 00:31:59 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 14:24 +1000, Christopher Curran wrote:
>
>> Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
>>
>>> Any comments on this?
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem#Account_Termination
>>>
>>> Mike is setting some policy[1] as per a thread on f-advisory-board[2].
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-September/msg00001.html
>>> [2] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-August/msg00122.html
>>>
>>> Feel free to edit that content if you see something that is clear, or
>>> send your comments back here.  I believe Mike is subscribed to this
>>> list, so we can get his input when needed.
>>>
>>> - Karsten
>>>

>> Line 2:
>>
>>     These freedoms, however, do not include the right to deceive,
>>     manipulate or otherwise *change* the processes and procedures Fedora
>>     has in place.
>>

>> So the rules can never change, those with power never leave and anyone
>> who questions them is out? I'd consider revising to make it less
>> transcendental and more concrete. Add detailed boundaries of what is
>> wrong and why it is harmful. For example: vandalism, deliberately
>> creating security issues, self promotion, harassment, and so on.
>>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem#Account_Termination
>
> I made a couple changes -- see if that helps.  I am not necessarily in
> favor of detailing specific violations because our definitions may
> differ (or be incorrect).  I don't believe it's vital that we do so,
> either, in order to retain the rights to terminate accounts.
> Nevertheless, I'm going to shoot a note to Fedora Legal to see whether
> any further text might be required.

There is still a lot of fake legalese verbosity in the paragraph. Most
people don't speak legalese, many have no understanding what you are on
about after you start speaking it. Sum it up.
-----
Fedora project reserves the right to terminate accounts used
maliciously. Accounts may be terminated for:
 * maliciously violating or circumventing fedora project's procedures.
 * using multiple accounts without permission.
 * deliberate damage to the openness, transparency, and equality of the
fedora project.
-----
That's about all that needs to be there anything else is just padding.
Don't use ten words for something you can say in two.

Chris