structure for F10 final release notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 13:09:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 08:04:52AM -0400, Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 18:11 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> > If you look at the beats, think of them as topic-specific buckets of
> > content:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats
> >
> > Once converted to XML, we can reorder them at-will to get different
> > structures.  We've discussed doing a radical overhaul in the past, but
> > have instead done a set of slow, steady evolutions. *yawn*
> >
> > Here is a strawman proposal, meaning a thin structure to throw more
> > ideas against:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_notes_structure_for_F10
> >
> > Trying to cover the usual use cases, give it a tone people might relate
> > to, push up front some issues people care about (installer, bugs,
> > hardware support, etc.)  I believe this structure covers all the Beat
> > content.  To quote:
> >
> >      1. What's new in Fedora 10 -- Overview
> >      2. What is new for installation and live images -- important
> >         installer notes, live image instruction sets, pointers to more
> >         docs
> >      3. What's the latest on the desktop -- *all* GUI applications,
> >         l10n, a11y
> >              1. How has software installing and updating improved --
> >                 Add/Remove Software
> >              2. Do you browse the web, read email, and create/edit
> >                 office documents?
> >              3. What is to celebrate for musicians, artists, and other
> >                 creative types?
> >              4. What is the new stuff for gamers, scientists, and
> >                 hobbyists?
> >              5. Power users get what new features and fixes?
> >      4. How are things for developers -- devel tools, -devel package
> >         changes, i18n
> >      5. What do system administrators care about -- services, daemons,
> >         non-devel CLI
> >              1. Are there cool new security features - SELinux,
> >                 firewall, hashes, new signing key details
> >      6. What are the nuts and bolts of hardware support -- arch-specific
> >         notes,
> >      7. Are there hideous bugs and terrible tigers? -- known issues,
> >         link to up-to-date bug page
> >      8. Legal stuff and administrivia
> >
> > --
>
> I think this has the sort of grouping/flow most readers like. I would
> like to see us at least try it, see what feedback we get and then decide
> yea or nay?

One of the absolutely great things about using git for source code
management (SCM) is that you can create branches very cheaply, without
disturbing the history of the master.  You can essentially turn any
copy of the repo into a strawman of sorts, to demonstrate an idea.  If
people like it, you merge it in.

If you have a fedorapeople.org site, you can publish git repos on it
in a "public_git" folder for people to try out the concept.  Refer to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/fedorapeople.org for more
information on how to do this.

If anyone needs help setting this up, please let me know.  I'm no git
genius but I've got enough simple things under control to be helpful
to absolute beginners.  You'll probably soon surpass me though! :-)