structure for F10 final release notes

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Sep 29 13:27:09 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Karsten 'quaid' Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
To: "Fedora Documentation Project" <fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 9:11 PM
Subject: structure for F10 final release notes

[clip]
>              3. What is to celebrate for musicians, artists, and other
>                 creative types?
>              4. What is the new stuff for gamers, scientists, and
>                 hobbyists?

This is an interesting breakdown.  I suspect that when technical people
think of hobbyists, technical hobbies come to mind, so the grouping with
scientists might make sense.  That does, however, leave out non-technical
hobbyists.  I have to admit, not being a stamp collector or a quilter, I
don't really know that there is anything for non-tech hobbyists, but I
suspect there is.  Including the gamers totally confuses me though.  I would
think they have more in common with the "creative" types.

I'm not sure I can propose a better breakdown, though.  It does seem like
there is a big difference between creative and entertainment ... i.e., a
music player has a very different audience than a music composition app.
The former has more in common with the gamer, in fact, in terms of
"entertainment", while the latter is probably closer to, say, an electronic
design suite, actually "creating" something rather than using it.  Of
course, intuitively, they are pretty far apart.

Perhaps
- "Artistic" - Creating/composing art
- "Entertainment" - Movie and music players, games
- "Techical" - Science, math and technical hobbies (because tech hobbies are
often hard to distinguish from professional use of the same tools)
- "Hobby" - The myriad of other hobbies, collecting loads of different kinds
of "stuff", crafts, geneaology and all those dogs and cats that tend to have
maybe one app each

I have to admit, doesn't sound nearly as good a "What is to celebrate"

--McD