Reviewed: [[Welcome_Message_To_New_Ambassadors]]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 20:40:18 UTC 2009

Susmit:

Sorry to break the threading, I accidentally deleted your original
email.  Your welcome message made a nice review over lunch today:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Welcome_Message_To_New_Ambassadors

I made changes directly because I didn't see anything substantive that
I changed.  That is, I don't think I changed any meaning, just did
some grammar adjustments and clarifications.  Please read my changes
carefully -- I'm not as familiar with the updated mentoring guidelines
as I should be. :)

There is one issue in the instructions -- it directs the new potential
Ambassador to get aggregated on Fedora Planet.  However, that requires
being in a FAS group already (plus having signed the CLA.)  If the
Ambassador-to-be is not already in the 'ambassadors' group, they have
to belong to another group, too.

Maybe that was the intention?  I note the mandatory-in-India step of
contributing to another group.  Is that the secret solution?

One concern is that we'll get an influx of people to low-barrier
groups, such as 'docs', who are just interested in getting their FAS
group to get aggregated and fulfill Ambassador requirements.  I could
foresee a chain-reaction of people raising barriers in groups to block
against that.  Also, it is possible to contribute to various projects
without joining the group.  One could write wiki documentation or be
involved in QA test days without belonging to the 'docs' or 'qa'
groups.

Would it be possible to have the candidate bring proof of that instead
of being required to have joined another group?  In other words, if
they are going to join e.g. 'docs' just to get in to 'ambassadors',
they are less likely to sustain contributions to the Docs Team.  (It's
OK if people don't want to remain a Docs contributor, we just need to
set the expectations all around.)

cheers - Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41