Packaging Guidelines

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 01:27:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:48:11PM -0500, Susan Lauber wrote:
> Greetings all - especially the packaging folks,
>
> I talked to a few people at FUDCon and the end result is that I seem to be
> the Docs Project lead for the Packaging Guidelines docs.
> I think it will be an exciting task and I hope to learn a lot about the Docs
> Project as well as more about building packages in the process.

Thanks Susan.  I think this guide is one of the most important content
pieces for Fedora today and the future; we are nothing if not at least
set of well-built packages.

> I have begun the wiki page renaming for the pages in the (new) Packaging
> namespace by creating a PSV file in
> http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/wikirename.git

My one suggestion, which we discussed on IRC, was to use lower case
for subsequent words in a title.  In other words, [[Titles have a
natural flow]], reserving all-initial caps for [[Really Important
Chapters of Stuff]].  This is from:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure#General_naming_rules

> 3.  The next step is Categories for the pages.  Which may also help with any
> additional renaming. Are there any suggestions or ideas already out there
> before I start making them up - er - examining content for logical category
> names?

For the rest of the audience here :), categories are where we get our
information nesting.  [[Category:Python packaging guidelines]] can be
applied to >1 pages, creating an instant reference of anything to do
with packaging Python.  Categories can be nested in each other, and
across each other, to create organic and intentional pathways for
people to follow.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41