Contact for managing Fedora documentation?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:01:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 08:47:56PM -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:31:49AM +1000, David O'Brien wrote:
> > Comments inline...
> >
> > Karsten Wade wrote:
> >> This is of course without the Magic Grail that we all want -- an easy
> >> way similar to a wiki or wysiwyg-via-WebUI that reads and writes to
> >> valid DocBook XML.
> >>
> > We need to be careful with "valid DocBook XML". What is valid for one
> > brand in publican may well not be for another brand (this is my
> > understanding - maybe Jeff can clarify). OOo may also output "valid
> > XML", but it will fail to build using the RedHat brand. However, I
> > understand the sentiment; the ability to write in <my fav. language>
> > using <my fav. editor> and being able to output xml suitable for the
> > brand and toolchain we're using would give me warm fuzzies. :)
>
> Hmm.  I'm not sure how to apply that.  In my mind, there _is_ such a
> thing as valid DocBook XML.  We may have toolchains with expectations
> on how the toolchain wants it to behave, that is not per the
> standard.  I understand why Publican et al make limitations on tags it
> will accept and so forth.  The proper way to deal with this is to have
> XSLT to transform between the XML expectations our toolchains have.

Actually, the proper way to do that would be to not use DocBook XML as
the declared dialect, but rather some subset of DocBook.  Publican
should then provide a public DTD and RelaxNG schema so people's
XML-aware editors could do the work for them, as opposed to putting
the onus on users to remember which tags are usable and which aren't.

Don't want to drag this thread OT, and my comment here probably
belongs on the publican-list instead.  ISTR this topic might have come
up there before.  Just putting in $0.02.