CMS Option: Zikula

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:25:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 03:01:12PM -0500, Eric Christensen wrote:

> Earlier today I had the chance to talk with Simon, who represents
> Zikula, about his CMS solution.  I did the interview on IRC on
> #fedora-docs so it could be seen by all on IRC and so I could record the
> conversation for everyone to read.
>
> I created a wiki page[1] on Zikula and asked most of the information
> that was requested (my time was short).  Simon provided good answers to
> all the questions which went a lot further than the check marks that I
> used on the wiki.  I invite everyone to read the transcript[2] and pose
> additional questions or comments to the list.  Simon has subscribed to
> the list so he can probably field questions by email.
>
> All CMS options are on the wiki[3].  Of course this is the only one that
> has come to light with a lot of energy.  If anyone else would like to
> suggest a CMS solution please complete a CMS template[4] so we can make
> an informed decision.
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zikula_CMS_Option
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zikula_IRC_Chat_Interview
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_CMS_Option
> [4] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_CMS_Template

I think we should also be considering the other major players in the
CMS game, if there are people available to deploy and maintain them.
Drupal and Joomla! immediately come to mind, the latter especially
because it actually has some DocBook XML support.  Features aren't
particularly compelling, though, if we have no one around to help with
the maintenance.

None of this has any bearing on the quality of Zikula, which I'm sure
is excellent.