Self Introduction

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Tue Jan 27 14:24:56 UTC 2009

A belated introduction from a lurker. (Andrew Ross, I was in Brisbane last
fall on business. Lovely city!)

Name: Karen Schneider
Location: Florida/Georgia
Profession: Community Librarian
Company: Equinox Software Inc. ("The Evergreen Experts" -- we support
Evergreen OSS library automation software)

I have a variety of roles in the company and one emerging role is to help
shape the direction of Evergreen documentation, including selecting and
providing oversight for documentation writers on a grant project, helping to
provide direction on schemas, style guides, etc., and whatever else comes
up.  We are (very likely) adopting the Fedora styleguide, discussing a move
from Dokuwiki to Docbook, integrating documentation into the development
timeline, etc.

* What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?*
 * I do not have a documentation background, though I have written two
technical trade books and have an MFA in writing. I have published over 100
articles, mostly industry-specific trade articles for library and technology
magazines, though also a handful of literary essays. (Yes, I think that
counts -- writing is writing, and after reviewing a series of documentation
contributions this only confirms for me that some folks have it and others
do not.)

* What level and type of computer skills do you have?*

* I am a generalist with typical business skills (perhaps better than
average). I have been online since 1990. I am not scared of a command prompt
but also don't seek one out if I don't have to. ;) Like most librarians I
have a good feel for structured data and for metadata.

* What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User interface
design, other so-called soft skills (people skills), programming, etc.*
* I am teaching myself Docbook (next up, XSLT).
*I run a local writers' critique group (where I am informally known as their
beloved "hard**s" ;) ) and have very good editorial/review/critique skills.
If I can understand it, I can usually salvage it and can provide feedback at
every level -- detailed/directive; suggestions; general advice; etc.
* In my decades in the full-time workforce I have initiated, hired for, and
provided oversight for a variety of projects (including usability, software
development, etc.) and have been an administrator of various flavors at
various times.
*
What makes you an excellent match for the project?*
* I don't know that I am an "excellent match" at this point. I'm sitting
back and listening/learning. If a role opens up, I'll speak up. I'm always
happy to look at anything you want me to.