Need Feedback on HOWTO wiki created by /me.

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 10 16:57:42 UTC 2009

On 2009-07-10 11:45:52 AM, Eric Christensen wrote:
> Have you looked at our Installation Guide[1]?  I would hate for you to
> have to reinvent the wheel.  Maybe you could work with the team on this
> guide?
The difference between the type of documentation that Kishan made and
our official docs is something that I've been thinking about lately.
While there definitely is a place for a comprehensive install guide
that covers every single installation case, perhaps it'd be nice to have
a shorter, less intimidating version that goes through the defaults that
most brand new users would go through.

As an example of what I mean, openSUSE has some friendly,
screenshot-filled install guides that they link off of their download
page:

http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Local
http://en.opensuse.org/Installation/11.1_Live_CD

one striking fact that I noticed is that even with those tall
screenshots, both of those pages are not much larger than just the table
of contents page of our install guide
(http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/en-US/html/).

Sure, those pages don't cover the install process even nearly as
completely as our docs do, but from the perspective of a new user who
just wants to go with the defaults and get to a working system, that
style of documentation seems *really* nice.

I'm very interested to hear what you guys think about that - would
Zikula perhaps make it any easier or nicer to manage smaller documents
like these?

Thanks,
Ricky