wiki to xml

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 16:20:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 12:25:37AM +0000, Pascal wrote:
> Le Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:49:01 +0000,
> Pascal <pascal22p at parois.net> a écrit :
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I was wondering how do you get mediawiki content into xml. Is it an
> > home made script ? Simple ? A sophisticated and a heavy process ?
> >

> Thanks for all the answers, I need to have a closer to all of them now.

I used mw-render form python-mwlibs for all the F10 work, here are the
notes I took:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kwade/Post-processing_wiki2xml_results

As was pointed out, the output is accurate for formatting but there is
no contextual meaning.  This is why we use a strict wiki markup
pattern that allows us to manually clean-up.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#Marking_Technical_Terms

What I mean is, if you use '''Application Name''' consistently, then
that shows in the XML as <emphasis role="bold">Application
Name</emphasis>.  You can then do a search for each instance of
<emphasis role="bold"></emphasis> and change it to the contextually
meaningful <application></application>.

It is a bit tedious, but in the end ... it takes the same energy to
convert from wiki to XML as XML to wiki.  One way you compress out
meaning, the other way you add in meaning.

http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41