More Publican Pain

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 30 16:58:52 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>
To: "For participants of the Documentation Project"
<fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: More Publican Pain

> If we can "fix" the problems without breaking the validation then go for
> it, but we should be meeting an international standard and not what
> Microsoft feels like using for their browser.

Well, neither of these problems seem to have anything to do with validation.
The Fedora branding for Publican has both svg and png versions of the logo,
I'm sure IE can handle the png.  I'm not sure how to tell it to use the png,
tho.  The logo is embedded as an object, not an image, and I think the
validation suite lets you put anything into an object type as long as it is
lower case.  I suspect Windows can't decode an svg whatever the browser.
But in any case, it should leave a box for the object and go on, not just
stop displaying the page there.

The 0xc2 is another issue.  While I am sure that the validation doesn't
require a 0xc2 after a number, why it is there and how to make it go away I
have no clue.  Apparently it must be a non-display character in UTF.  It
precedes a non-break space, so maybe it has something to do with that.

> Can we file a bug against IE7?

I'm sure we can, I'll look into it.  But I don't get the impression M$
treats bugs like we do.  We encourage people to file bugs; we almost like
them because it means people care enough to help us make the product better.
I don't get that same feeling from Microsoft, but then maybe I'm just
prejudiced.

My wife's box has Firefox and Opera on it.  I tried to fire up Firefox to
take a look on FF/Win.  But the silly thing kept crashing, and the phone
rang before I could investigate the crash.

--McD