release notes note

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 15 03:19:37 UTC 2009

*** meant to send earlier today and was waylaid! ***

Hi Docs guys,

I tagged the master branch 'fedora-release-notes-11.0.0' at the
appropriate commit.  If we do another release as a zero-day update,
remember that we should be updating the version to 11.0.1 to reflect a
content change.  (I tagged the other "extra" modules as well, like
about-fedora-11.0.0 and so forth.)

We located a problem which may have plagued John earlier.  Let me see
if I can sum it up:

The fedora-doc-utils is not inserting a version number where it's
needed at times.  This interferes with the much easier tarball
creation that the "extra" modules already had available.  In F10 and
before, I would just do "make release-pkg" to generate a tarball in
each repo, then copy them for the SRPM.

However, instead of generating for example a homepage-11.0.0.tar.gz
file, right now you end up with a homepage-.tar.gz file.  This seems
to be caused by the XSLT stored in packagin/doc-version.xsl -- it's
not pulling out the highest revision date as expected.  Shouldn't be
too hard to fix but we didn't have time to delve into it last night.

One other issue that I would recommend the Docs team look at:

* We need to branch off for F11 Any Time Now.  At that point, one will
  need to use the f11 branch to do any further updates, like a
  zero-day update or any other midstream F11 package update.
  Depending on how fast you guys want to get started with cleaning up
  in advance of F12, you may want that branch sooner rather than
  later.

The reason I bring this up is that after release, it's good to take a
short breather, but it's also easy to let the breather become a
vacation.  (I speak from deep personal experience!)  Then before you
know it, it's F12 release time and nothing's fixed.  In the first
weeks after release it's going to be hard for me to do much technical
work, but after June things get better for a little while at least.

I will be happy to help out wherever I can, but I think it's up to the
Docs team to come up with a compelling plan for how we want to
approach F12, before we get more than a couple weeks into the F12
schedule.  This list is an opportune venue to work out the details, so
that people will see what's being planned, have a chance to
participate, and get excited.

You guys have done a heck of a job getting so much learned, so
quickly, and contributed a lot to Fedora 11.  Every single release was
a learning experience for me working on Docs, and it really made me
happy to see how far I'd come since the last release.  I hope you guys
feel the same and are excited about F12 challenges.