Moving Docs Project to Category:Docs Project

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Sat Nov 21 12:57:37 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Christensen" <eric at christensenplace.us>
To: "For participants of the Documentation Project"
<fedora-docs-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: Moving Docs Project to Category:Docs Project

>  So I don't actually sift through much of the other noise that's out
> there.  But if people can't find something that is actually there then
> that's a problem.

We need to take a harder look at what we want to do.  When we got rid of the
hierarchical naming so that "search could work", we changed "hard to find"
into "impossible to find".  And search is just as hopeless as it ever was.

Susan mentioned a hundred and some pages in the Docs_Project category.  That
is a lot, but not totally unmanageable.  Unfortunately, I suspect not all
relevant pages are in the category.  And, really, there are enough pages in
the category that it is hard to find what you need.

We already have a lot of subcategories; probably too many.  Unfortunately,
many pages, especially newer pages, aren't in the appropriate subcategory.
That failure makes the subcategories mostly useless since they become
repositories for documents you don't want to see, kind of like search.

If we had a SMALL number of relevant subcategories, our odds of getting a
page into the appropriate subcategory would increase.  As it is we are lucky
to remember to put something into the project category.  The odds of knowing
what the appropriate subcategory might be are vanishingly small.

On top of that, I'm afraid we need a more aggressive wiki gardening effort.

Just some thoughts

--McD