2nd Draft Ready for Review: Ch. 1: PackageKit

Douglas Silas dhensley at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 00:16:54 UTC 2009

I have expanded the Yum chapter significantly since the 1st draft,
and it should now be more-or-less complete. This is the last draft
before I finalize the text for translation, so please send your
comments/ suggestions! Especially if you think the Yum chapter
should cover something important that it does not.

Note: Yum and its "ecosphere" (yum-utils, plugins, etc.) provide
many more capabilities than can be described in the Deployment
Guide. That said, I am very interested in Yum use cases and
procedures that system administrators find indispensable. One
example would be: documenting orphan and unneeded package removal
with the package-cleanup command. Or merging config files with
yum-plugin-merge-conf. Initial text for supplementary sections would
be much appreciated.

Without further ado:

http://dsilas.fedorapeople.org/Deployment_Guide/en-US/html-single/#ch-yum

I have incorporated many suggestions from Rahul Sundaram and others
into this draft. Thanks Rahul!

The (partial) list of changes:

* Yum plugins in general documented; specific ones (presto,
fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit) now described
* chapter's 2nd paragraph is now a large admonition concerning GPG
package verification and security, with links
* removing packages and groups now explained in detail, along with
discussion of dependencies
* [main] and [repository] sections beefed up; new options explained
* improved command for creating Yum repos
* Additional Resources added (only one thus far)

Regards,

--
Douglas Silas
Technical Writer | Red Hat, Inc.