scheduling, or the timezone dance

Stuart Ellis s.ellis at fastmail.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 19:53:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:29:02 -0700, "Karsten Wade" <kwade at redhat.com>
said:
> Apparently, those of us in the States have software that doesn't
> calculate British Summer Time correctly.  Or does it?
>
> From rom what I got out of yesterday's conversation, I am in fact -8
> UTC/GMT, and not -7 UTC/GMT as rktime shows me[1].

UTC/GMT is a constant reference for all timezones, but UK time at UTC +
1 hour for the "British Summer Time" period of the year, despite the
fact that the Greenwich meridian is in Britain.

So:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_GB.aspx

We only do it to mess everybody else up :)
--

Stuart Ellis