Admin question

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 18:39:17 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 07:55 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Karsten,
>
> I received mail from the Fedora accounts system asking me to approve
> someone for CVS access -- strangely enough, the surak guy you asked me
> about.

Yeah, we all got those, new feature Elliott put in yesterday.  I don't
yet know the entire meaning of that part of the admin tools.

Let's hold off on approving any new people until we have guidelines to
point them at.  Can't go spanking anyone's hands for reaching in the
wrong cookie jar until we've posted the Cookie Jar Rules.

>   This seems like a policy question that belongs on the CVS wiki
> page, but for which I don't have an answer.  Do we give out CVS access
> to anyone asking for it?  Does CVS access automatically mean write
> access across the board to the entire store of fedora-docs?  If the
> answer to both of those is "yes," are we comfortable with that approach?
> This plays into the idea of sandboxes and how high we want the wood
> beams around them.  I'll try and get on IRC by morning your time, but
> feel free to just email if that's more convenient.

We definitely want some sort of guidelines in place before we give out
CVS access beyond this immediate group.  I've already been pushing this;
I asked Rahul yesterday if he wanted to document the admin tool, and he
could get the CVS access sooner that way.

Before I give out CVS access, I personally would want to know:

1. Who are you?
2. What are your plans in CVS?
3. What have you done lately that deserves access?

Our challenge is to lower barriers while setting up appropriate
obstructions.  What is appropriate to keep in docscvs?  Do we use ACLs
everywhere or just trust people to stick only where they belong?

I think the answer to 1. is that they should have done a self
introduction and participated on the mailing list, maybe even discussed
their specific doc idea(s).

This feeds into 2.  Someone needs to be a writer or an editor to have a
reason for docscvs access.

And 3. is rather self-evident.  But is it elitist?  I think it certainly
speaks to the idea of meritocracy.  I won't worry too much yet if it is
elitist.

What I really want is a bunch of enthusiastic people humming through CVS
like honey bees, making sweet documentation.

Okay, 'nuff for now - Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide