[Fwd: Re: making Fedora Documentation Project a stand-alone Fedora Product]

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:38:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 10:30 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> [...]

Aren't these components all under the "Fedora Documentation" product?
If so, isn't such a component prefix redundant?  After all, the "Fedora
Core" or "Fedora Extras" products don't call their components
"fed-kernel" or "fed-yum-utils."  I can't see the FDP ever doing
anything *other* than Fedora docs, but if my logic is flawed, someone
please beat me with the cluestick.

> > So, should we have components that match 1:1 with the names in CVS?
> >
> > Seems OK to me. :)
>
> I like simple :).  We'll probably need something for toolchain
> bugs/requests as well, separate from docs-common, but perhaps that
> should just be a tracker bug (as it is now), rather than a component.

I was going to say that "docs-common" needed a component, thanks for
remembering for me!

> Odd idea: Should tracker bugs live in a separate component, since they
> potentially link to bugs in multiple components ?

It should be easy to simply have an "other" component to capture
toolchain or miscellaneous requests.  Only the highest level tracker
bugs are going to be dissociated from specific components, like "docs in
progress," or trackers of that nature.  There should be few enough of
those that they can live in "other" without a problem, I would think.
Since any bug can conceivably become a tracker by having other bugs
block it, making a separate component for tracker bugs could create
needless confusion, couldn't it?

This reminds me to ask:  How hard is it to add components later?  With
one component per doc, as more docs are added (here's where I start
dreaming again), we will need to continually add more components.  Don't
get me wrong, I like that idea best; I'm just wondering whether this
presents a potential delay.  I'm not very familiar with how the
administration of BZ works from an "inside RH" perspective.