FDSCo minutes IRC log 15-Aug-2006

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 00:27:12 UTC 2006

<quaid> <meeting>
<quaid> forgot to send an agenda, so let's make one up!
<quaid> actually, this is what the task schedule is for ...
* BobJensen-Away waves
* quaid turns on the Paul's FWN podcast :)
<quaid>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/TaskSchedule
<quaid> so, I'm going to add the two book productions there as well
<stickster> bbia minute... have to attend to a financial thing...
someone waiting on me
<quaid> np
<quaid> ok, updated the TaskSchedule with the two guides at the top
<quaid> also rockin', Toshio just got here
<stickster> I'm back... sorry about that.
<BobJensen-Away> I need to head out to a service call shortly
<quaid> BobJensen-Away: is there anything you want to see addressed
first/
<quaid> ?
<BobJensen-Away> Not off the top of my head
<quaid> the only thing I want to discuss is getting focused on producing
those two guides
<stickster> +1
<stickster> So I'm going to head up IG revision... may not need to be a
large overhaul, as I can see it from installing FC6t2 & Rawhide a few
times in the last week or so
<stickster> I figure I may be able to write the bit that's required, a
few screens' worth of changes
<stickster> Someone had volunteered to do screenshots but I haven't
heard back from him in the last few days
<stickster> 'sOK since that's usually the last thing to finalize
<BobJensen-Away> stickster: tell me what you want shot and I will do it
<-- stickster has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<quaid> oops
<quaid> just before I was going to confirm that he is "team leader" on
IG :)
<ghenry> made it. sorry guys
<quaid> actually would like to see someone new take that role, and just
focus stickster's energy
--> stickster (n=pfrields at fedora/stickster) has joined #fedora-docs
<quaid> oi
<stickster> Hmm, bonobo ate my homework
<quaid> stickster: are you actually wanting to lead the FIG update?
<stickster> and my GNOME session
<stickster> sorry
<stickster> Sorry, don't know how much of those last comments made it
back to the channel
<quaid> stickster: my initial thought had been to have someone else lead
and help focus our energy, maybe Sonar_Guy ?
<quaid> if he's on shore -n- stuff :)
<BobJensen-Away> quaid: I think Scott (Sonar_Guy) would be willing
<quaid> just noticed that he'd been working/thinking on it
<quaid> stickster: what do you think?
<quaid> stickster: here's where you left
<quaid> <stickster> 'sOK since that's usually the last thing to finalize
<quaid> <BobJensen-Away> stickster: tell me what you want shot and I
will do it
<quaid> <-- stickster has quit (Remote closed the connection)
<stickster> OK, that was everything then :-)
<quaid> cool
<stickster> I'd love the extra hands. We won't make any major changes at
this point, saving them until FC7.
<stickster> The guide's fairly complete and just needs revisions to
cover new extra repo entry, IPv6, a couple odds 'n' ends
<stickster> The work *MUST* be done in CVS though
<stickster> I simply don't have time to coordinate wiki dumps and
consequent cleanups in addition to editing and revision
<stickster> Not a very tall order tho', since again, it's all told maybe
a chapter's worth of work
* quaid reads that as, "Stickster is team lead."
* stickster takes ball and runs
<stickster> ...smack into the goalpost
<quaid> stickster: keep up with Sonar_Guy and we'll work on sending any
others your way who want to help
<stickster> right-O
<quaid> ok, then, on to the DUG
<quaid> do we have any likely people to pressure :) to be Team leader?
<quaid> I can do it until then, but I really want this to scale a bit
better, and get some new blood involved.
<stickster> I noticed that John Babich has really started plowing away
at this one, which had foundered a little since Damien stopped working
on it
<stickster> There are other people on that guide's watch list as well, I
noticed... maybe his work will encourage some of them to roll up their
sleeves :-)
<quaid> ok, maybe we'll just proceed without a leader for a few days and
see what happens
<quaid> I was going to start digging in with language edits, etc.
<quaid> s/will// :D
<stickster> Right
<stickster> I know I sounded bitchy about the Assumptions thing... was
meant in good spirit!  It's crucial for that guide to be useful to the
only people who will probably bother to read it :-)
<quaid> no, you were totally right
<quaid> like I said, that's why we're focusing on these guides
<stickster> Right on
<quaid> I presume I did the right thing in picking those?
<stickster> Yes... the others comprise a lot of googlejuice already
<stickster> Or I should say, the material they would cover is comprised
of... etc
<quaid> cool
<quaid> yeah, an format entrance guide would be a good thing
<quaid> ok, that tackles the two most important items
<stickster> Was I supposed to send something to f-trans-l or anywhere
about the relnotes web release?
<quaid> hmm
<quaid> I dunno, I mean ...
<quaid> they're supposed to be on f-docs-commits
<quaid> but it can't hurt to drop a note that any working translations
can be updated for the Web between now and test3
<stickster> True... is the content too transitory to bother?
<stickster> I suppose some of it won't change, making the PO still
useful
<quaid> it mainly depends if we recommend that changes in the Web-only
release are worth the extra time
<quaid> do we/
<quaid> ?
<stickster> Nah
<stickster> I'd rather save their energy and enthusiasm for the week+
before the gold
<quaid> yep
<quaid> sounds fine to me
* stickster notes we are doing meeting without quorum, but then again
we're not really deciding anything :-)
<stickster> bull.seize(horns)
<quaid> 'struth
<quaid> also, I have to go bring Jack the parking widget so he can get
the car out and go for lunch
<quaid> so
<quaid> </meeting>
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project