Thanks for answering the roll call. And now, a question.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:21:23 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Richard June <rjune at bravegnuworld.com> wrote:
> I hadn't heard that part. My understanding is that Ardence is basically doing
> NFS root of a full OS. Which is similar to what LTSP 5 (muekow) is doing on
> Ubuntu and a few other distributions

Speaking of ltsp 5....
Are you game for helping me take eric harrison's current ltsp 5
package set and getting them into shape for submission to Fedora
Extras?  I'm going to be spending time this week and next week poking
at what he's currently got with the goal of making a package
submission to fedora extras as soon as I am comfortable with the
mechanics of the packaging.  My understanding from my brief email
conversation with eric is that there could be some improvement in
automating the configuration process for a default config, but that
the packages basically work.

I'll stand up and act as maintainer for the package set for the time
being until I find some co-maintainers with cvs access.  Once we get
ltsp 5 into the fedora repository we can have a serious discussion as
part of the fedora development dialog about how we can establish a
ltsp install target for fedora 8 and beyond. Post Core/Extras merger
we might even have a good chance of getting a dedicated ltsp or even
an educational spin out into the wild IF we have enough momentum to
keep it maintained. If we can get a fedora spin for ltsp together
(that can be tracked with download metrics), we'll be in a strong
position to shame Red Hat into putting some engineering manhours into
the development to start pulling a product together based on the
Fedora packages.

-jef