[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] Re: Urgent: Fedora Electronic Lab + Educational SW

Danishka Navin danishka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 20:41:40 UTC 2008

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

>>> Okey dokey, this sounds really like a beginning. I think we should also
>>> evaluate, which applications we're going to include, since it doesn't really
>>> make sense to flood the spin with e.g. three geometry programs, right?
>>>

>> for the Fedora Edu Spin single geometry program is enough but for a
>> 'geometry' spin we can add all geometry programs.
>> That's what Chitlesh doing  for the FEL.
>> He is selecting all Electronic programs, but we can select only best suited
>> program(s).
>>

> Well it is not exactly what I am doing for electronics.
> For electronics, I'm focussing on bringing opensource electronics
> simulation software from the "geek planet" to the more industrial or
> university level.
> Thereby there are some set of rules of maintenance of the FEL Livedvd.
> Example: ST Microelectronics is using Fedora in its design centres.
> That is why I'm pushing the mindset of FEL contributors to a more
> professional orientation.
> In other words, we are not packagers anymore but CAD engineers for
> fedora. Since big EDA vendors are on the edge of opensourcing some of
> their tools (read my blog for more details). I'm hoping that with FEL
> established ground we can help them opt for an opensource license.
> Just a win-win situation for the global opensource communities.
>
> Hence FEL's roadmap is to reduce the gap of data exchange and tools
> from the commercial and open source environment. Unfortunately there
> is no perfect EDA tool. But having concrete and latest research data
> on silicon, we can improve our ASIC tools. If FEL ships outdated tools
> with respect to the technological race and not to package versions,
> then FEL has missed its goals.

Thanks for your  update.
> I hope I didn't lose you. I believe that a single Fedora Edu Spin
> should be more educational oriented (8-18 years).
>
> I guess for edu-spin one has to establish or Identify the real needs
> (in the real world, not on 'geek planet') and ways to solve/satisfy
> that need. We need a leader for the edu-spin who has "education" in
> mind.

Recently I had a descution with Chief Project Officer of the National
Institute of Education Sri Lanka.
He is very much interest on Fedora as it a FOSS product.
He asked about availability of all kind educational software for school
students and teachers.
I can get their support for the userTesting/ feedback but this is from a
specific region.

Apart from education software itself we have to add localization effort
to make it more convenient for all regions.
I think more than 70 languages working for the Fedora l10n.

Danishka