Education SIG

sebastian at when.com sebastian at when.com
Tue Feb 12 16:42:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> 1. What's the difference between this effort and that effort?
I think to explain this, I should start with the origins: K12LTSP was
and is a Fedora based project and AFAIK was lead by Warren and Erik.
Currently, there are efforts to integrate K12LTSP into Fedora and to let
it become an official subproject. On the other hand, I'm a fairly new
contributer and I started this educational spin [1]. I got some feedback
on FDL and I think I have now a version, which might be released. In my
opinion we should talk about how to integrate these things and how to
collaborate concerning this.
> 2. How long will it take to get K12Linux ready?
Well, for this, you better ask Warren, but AFAIK, he has planned the
release for mid-2008, somewhat together with Fedora 9 [2]. Other
versions are  currently provided on [3].
> 3. Is it useful to have a Fedora Education spin ready in the meantime?
I have already a Fedora Education spin finished (for f8) and submitted
it to release engineering recently. I think that we shouldn't confuse
the users with several names or even projects of educational spins
(K12LTSP Desktop, Education Spin, and so on...). I would really like to
discuss the whole thing and how to go on, so that we can find an
appropriate solution for this.
> 4. Who else is interested in working on a project like this?
That is, what I'm trying to find out. To sum it up, I would like to get
an overview, who is interested in education. Then, we could form a SIG
and discuss this (there were already some people on FDL and FAB, who
were searching for interested people and I think a SIG would help us to
get these people together).

Here are my suggestions (formal proposal for the SIG here [4]):
    1. I would like to find out, how many people are interested in
education and how many of them would be able to join a possible SIG.
    2. If there are enough people, we could go on and establish an
education SIG and try to get these people together.
    3. Then, I would suggest e.g. a meeting on IRC or a discussion on a
mailing list (here would be a fitting place), in which we'd discuss how
to integrate the different efforts related to an educational release and
how to get them together.
    4. The goal would be to release a spin (e.g. together with K12LTSP
and maybe in different versions, but this needs to be discussed
further...), which would include educational apps, as well as K12LTSP
software (I think of a possibility to log on to a LTSP terminal server).

Sebastian

[1]
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg02686.html
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/K12Linux