[IAEP] Announcing Fedora Sugar Spin!

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 16:02:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Bill Kerr wrote:

>       Meaning what, exactly?  Can you be more specific?
>
> Well, it's meant to be possible for collaboration to work out of the
> box. This did not happen with Wolfgang's Live CD converted to USB keys.
>
> Someone reported earlier on this list  that collaboration did work from
> USB keys on a Ubuntu network
>
> from morgan collett: "Link local presence should "just work", but I've
> never used the LiveCD images."
>
> At any rate Morgan asked us for some files and after they were sent
> reported back:
>
> from morgan collett:
> "Thanks for the logs. presenceservice.log shows that salut
> (LinkLocalPlugin) starts up successfully but doesn't detect anyone on
> the local network. gabble (ServerPlugin) repeatedly attempts to
> connect to a jabber server but fails - nevertheless salut is running."
>
> After this one of my students built a jabber server and we could do
> collaboration through that
>
> I was hoping that with the new Fedora USB key we could do collaboration
> out of the box, meaning without using the jabber server
>
> All I tested with the new Fedora USB key was trying to connect through
> Chat but that didn't work
>
> Let me know if you want more information or diagnostic files again - I
> can look up the details or ask joel for help if needed - just tell me
> exactly the information you need
>
> a bit more detail of the history here:
> http://xo-whs.wikispaces.com/connectivity

Ah, right.

So what we have is a complex policy issue, but it boils down to this:

With whom should a new Sugar user be "collaborating" by default?

Many options here.  Machines on the local mesh subnet?  Should there be a
default jabberd server?  Should there be discoverability of all jabberd
servers in the world?

My take:

1. Whatever default policy we choose will be wrong for a significant
subset of users.

2. Collaboration must be one of the "killer apps", and even if it doesn't
work out of the box *trivially*, it should be possible for users to
iterate through the possible collaboration network options with miminal
pain.

3. Can we discuss this at next week's Sugar conference?  To me, answering
these questions is worth a day or more of face time.

--g