[Fedora-electronic-lab-list] Your views on "trac on a Livecd " ?

Svilen krustev.svilen at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 1 13:35:24 UTC 2009

Hi Chitlesh,

The idea of course is quite nice, but there are some specifics.
Concerning bug/task tracking - there should not be principle troubles
here. In other words trac can be used in a trivial way as far as I can see.

Concerning the revision control systems ...
They are very good with text data. The trouble is that most of the FEL
tools deal primarily with binary data (or I'm wrong?). All revision
control systems I've seen are more or less helpless with binary data.
What I mean is that the incremental diffs are practically unusable
there. In the best case the revision control systems allow an external
diff to be used for the corresponding file type. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but neither of FEL tools offer a tool suitable to be used as an
external diff for the binary formats they are dealing with. By the way -
the situation is very similar with commercial tools. In result - all
binary data used by FEL tools can't be stored incrementally in the
databases of any of the revision control systems.
Don't get me wrong - this is not a problem of the revision control
systems. They will deal with our binary data in the best way they can
and it is - to store every single commit as a whole file. Now going in
the layout land for example - it will result in a huge database. Not the
most elegant solution.

It seems that if svn/git are to be used in an example methodology - then
the example should be focused on a tools that use text files (well
suitable for incremental diffs ) to store their data. If the focus is on
trac only - then I can't see a problem.

Actually this is quite interesting and uncharted area for layout
formats. The revision control is practically unknown there. I would be
quite keen to discuss this separately if there is an interest.

Regards
Svilen