Re: Packaging questions

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 15:18 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 11:57 -0600, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> > I'm working on an RPM for GLPK
> > (http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/glpk.html), and I'm wondering the best
> > approach to packaging. According to changelog notes in the Debian
> > packages and some old discussion on the GLPK mailing list, the library
> > is not reentrant and therefore should be built as only a static library,
>
> I don't know what being (non-)reentrant would have to do with being a
> shared or static library. Can you elaborate?

If the library is built as shared then multiple applications can enter
its code space at the same time. Being non-reentrant most if not all of
these applications would break.

If built as a static library then each app has its own private copy of
the library, therefore there is practically no chance that multiple
applications using the library will interfere with each other.

Having said that, IMO the developer should be severely knocked for
having written a non-reentrant library in this day and age.

http://fedora.ivazquez.net/