Suggestion: quilt

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon Apr 4 12:35:27 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 08:47:10AM +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:54:34PM -0400, Toshio wrote:
> > Here's a patch for your quilt package.  Changelog:
> >
> > - Full URL for Source.
> > - Changed some of the entries in the %%files section to own more
> >   directories, add more docs, and mark config files as config.
>
> How about marking config files also as noreplace? And I really don't
> think that this package should own /etc/bash_completion.d/ because it is
> already owned by the bash-completion package.
> How about using a trigger for the bash-completion stuff like I have seen
> it in other packages (mpc).

Ok, I'll look into that.  You're probably right about the bash_completion.d
stuff.

> > - Add some BuildRequires, configure switches and Requires so various
> >   quilt commandline options work.
>
> I would also rather see a package without a dependency on
> %{_sbindir}/sendmail, is this possible?

The mail function of the newest quilt requires this.  I don't think it cares
which MTA is installed, as long as something is providing sendmail type
functionality.

> The Requires can also be shorted: rpm-build requires perl, patch, mktemp
> coreutiles requires grep, findutils so that at least the Requires on
> perl, patch, mktemp, grep and findutils could be removed.

Ok, good point.  I look these over and shorten them where I can.

> The %description is a bit unusual for Fedora packages because I haven't
> seen that the Authors are mentioned in any other description. I have only seen
> this in suse packages and it looks a bit odd.

I guess that's not surprising since this is adapted from a SuSE spec file.  I
can re-write the %description if there are objections to how it is today.  I
just want to make sure credit is given where it's due.

Thanks for reviewing.  I'm a bit new to making RPMs, so bear with me :).  I
appreciate the comments.

josh