Suggestion: quilt

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Apr 4 13:33:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 08:47 +0200, Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:54:34PM -0400, Toshio wrote:
> > - Changed some of the entries in the %%files section to own more
> >   directories, add more docs, and mark config files as config.
>
> How about marking config files also as noreplace?
When should config files be noreplace and when should they not?  We
can't tell when we build this version of quilt whether a later version
will make an incompatible change to the quiltrc config....

> And I really don't
> think that this package should own /etc/bash_completion.d/ because it is
> already owned by the bash-completion package.

Since this package doesn't depend on bash-completion, it has to own the
bash_completion.d directory unless...

> How about using a trigger for the bash-completion stuff like I have seen
> it in other packages (mpc).

...you create a different mechanism to deal with it.  I was unaware of
the trigger stuff you refer to but it looks almost right::

  %triggerin -- bash-completion
  ln -sf %{_datadir}/%{name}/%{name}-bashrc \
    %{_sysconfdir}/bash_completion.d/%{name}

  %triggerun -- bash-completion
  [ $2 -gt 0 ] || rm -f %{_sysconfdir}/bash_completion.d/%{name}

I don't use triggers much but I think this doesn't handle the case where
bash_completion is installed and quilt/mpc gets uninstalled.  So it also
needs::
  %postun
  [ $1 = 0 ] && rm -f %{_sysconfdir}/bash_completion.d/%{name}

For quilt, you'd also want this in %install::
  mv ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/bash_completion.d/%{name} \
    ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/%{_datadir}/%{name}/%{name}-bashrc
  rm -rf ${RPM_BUILD_ROOT}/bash_completion.d

> > - Add some BuildRequires, configure switches and Requires so various
> >   quilt commandline options work.
>
> I would also rather see a package without a dependency on
> %{_sbindir}/sendmail, is this possible?

Not without having errors at runtime.... A runtime check could be
patched in and sent upstream, though.

> The Requires can also be shorted: rpm-build requires perl, patch, mktemp
> coreutiles requires grep, findutils so that at least the Requires on
> perl, patch, mktemp, grep and findutils could be removed.
>
> The %description is a bit unusual for Fedora packages because I haven't
> seen that the Authors are mentioned in any other description. I have only seen
> this in suse packages and it looks a bit odd.

Good points.

-Toshio