Re: Kernel module packages (was - Re: Pre-Review: Asterisk)

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 01:27 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> Let me comment on your original rpm -S mechanism:
>
> > - rpm looks for existing packages which match %{name}-%{version} for
> > each of these pending update packages.
> >  - if found, then compare %{release} with that existing
> >    %{name}-%{version} package
> >   - if %{release} of pending update is greater than existing, then
> >     upgrade ONLY that existing package with same %{name}-%{update}
>
> That should say %{name}-%{version},right?
> And what you really want here is:
> mark for install the new name-ver package
> mark for erase the package with the matching n-v-a but older e-v-r
>
> Is that right?

Yes, but they have to be performed in the opposite order.

If older e-v-r with matching n-v-a exists, then mark older for erase.
Mark for install the new name-ver package.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Sales Engineer || GPG Fingerprint: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!