Request for Review: monotone

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Apr 14 17:57:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 11:50 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 09:50 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 05:42 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > >
> > > The %post/%postun scripts should be referring to
> > > %{_infodir}/monotone.info.gz
> > > instead of
> > > %{_infodir}/monotone.info
> >
> > Not needed, install-info figures out the extension itself.
>
> That's news to me. Is this behavior documented anywhere?

At least in the install-info source :P

> => We should not be tempted to follow undocumented program behavior.

Well, I'm not aware of the brp-compress magic that results in *.info
magically transforming into a *.info.gz after rpmbuild's %install
section being documented any better.  The only difference is that the
compression probably isn't news to you any more.  There's no ultimately
correct, documented, and failsafe solution here, but I think leaving the
compress extension out instead of including it would be closer to that.
Pick your poison...

(BTW, FWIW, unlike the install-info behaviour, COMPRESS and COMPRESS_EXT
in brp-compress smell configurable, and are actually set to something
else than gzip in other distros.)

> >   But the
> > install-info commands should have a "|| :" appended to them to support
> > --excludedocs installs.
>
> IMO, this is irrelevant, here.

IMO it's a good practice which should be applied in all install-info
commands in %post and friends in all packages: in the rare cases where
it might actually matter to someone installing the package, it will be
there because the packager is accustomed to applying it everywhere
instead of deciding on the installer's behalf whether --excludedocs
installs are cool or not.  I have a hunch that preventing non-zero exit
code in these cases might be beneficial with %_netsharedpath /usr/share
setups too, but that's just a hunch, I've no hands on experience with
that.