Requires, Prereq, and Requires(pre)

Karsten Hopp wrote:
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

Prereq:  %{_prefix}/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
BuildPreReq: ncurses-devel readline-devel glibc-devel

These should be "Requires(pre)" and "BuildRequires" respectively. And you can drop the glibc-devel.

Is there a final decision on that or is that just your preference ?
We have LOTS of packages in FC which use Prereq: and BuildPreReq: instead of
Requires(pre) and BuildRequires(pre).

There is no difference between BuildRequires and BuildPrereq. BuildRequires(pre) is simply silly.

However the story behind Requires, Prereq, and Requires(pre) is more complicated. Apparently Requires and Prereq are now equivalent, but Requires(pre) is not. This really needs to be explained with detailed examples and documented once and for all in the Wiki because this is repeatedly a source of confusion.

In most cases "Requires" is all you need, there is no benefit to using "Prereq", however there are cases where Requires(pre) is needed to break a dependency loop. However this may not be the truth for all distributions, because apparently the behavior of Requires/Prereq changed recently. This historical behavior and when things changed should be documented too. I don't know the entire story myself.

Warren Togami
wtogami redhat com