Review needed: netspeed_applet

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Apr 22 17:16:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:13:42AM -0700, Per Bjornsson wrote:

> The Atheros Madwifi driver enjoys being special and calls the device
> ath0. It really sounds like "known names" (wlanX for the wireless case)
> get specific icons and the others get the network card by default.

There is really not much which can stop you from renaming your
network interfaces in many different ways with a help of 'nameif'.
I would think that "ath0" or "wlanX" strings are not exceptional
here although that I never tried.  Maybe this facility is not used
very widely but it is used and for good reasons.  Therefore it is
definitely a bad juju in various networking tools to rely on some
specific "known names".

> I'll bring this up with the developer.

Sounds like a good plan.

   Michal