more games (plus crack-attack)

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Apr 25 17:32:47 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:00:38 -0400 (EDT), JP LaFleur wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:28:08 -0400 (EDT), fedora-lists at rewster.org wrote:
> >
> >> Also, I have a spec file just about finished for crack-attack
> >> (which looks like it's been forked from the old version at
> >> aluminumangel, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/crack-attack)
> >>
> >> I'll post my specfile (for c-a) later this evening after doing a few last
> >> embarassment checks.
> >
> > crack-attack can't be included as long as it is copies the trademarked
> > Tetris.
>
> FWIW, it's not a clone of Tetris, it's like Tetris-Attack.  Guess you
> could argue the two are somewhat similar, but it's not the "handle a
> stream of falling blocks to make horizontal rows" play mechanic.  Or is it
> a matter of the game using the name "Tetris Attack" in the description or
> documentation?

First of all, the name Tetris and related names are trademarked. So, using
that name--or even a confusingly similar name--for comparing the games
would be a legal problem. With regard to the game concept, I don't think
the original Tetris game is patented--one reason why so many clones exist.
And I don't know about Tetris Attack, the game concept itself is probably
not protected either.

Btw, crack-attack is included at rpm.livna.org