Re: more games (plus crack-attack)

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:00:38 -0400 (EDT), JP LaFleur wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:28:08 -0400 (EDT), fedora-lists rewster org wrote:

Also, I have a spec file just about finished for crack-attack
(which looks like it's been forked from the old version at
aluminumangel, http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/crack-attack)

I'll post my specfile (for c-a) later this evening after doing a few last
embarassment checks.

crack-attack can't be included as long as it is copies the trademarked Tetris.

FWIW, it's not a clone of Tetris, it's like Tetris-Attack. Guess you could argue the two are somewhat similar, but it's not the "handle a stream of falling blocks to make horizontal rows" play mechanic. Or is it a matter of the game using the name "Tetris Attack" in the description or documentation?

First of all, the name Tetris and related names are trademarked. So, using that name--or even a confusingly similar name--for comparing the games would be a legal problem.

Right, and grepping for "etris" in the source tree results in 5 hits, in autopackage descriptions, and I think two or three times in the game's documentation. Would removing these references be acceptable, or would searching for the name "Tetris Attack" in the specfile or a patch still make the package unimportable? Or would it be required to come from upstream that way?

With regard to the game concept, I don't think
the original Tetris game is patented--one reason why so many clones exist.
And I don't know about Tetris Attack, the game concept itself is probably
not protected either.

Btw, crack-attack is included at rpm.livna.org

I know, but that is version 1.10 (from AluminumAngel, the original author, which was before the nongnu version, which is currently up to 1.13).