Re: New Package Process

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 19:17 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Some considerations, which IMO hasn't had enough attention so far:
> * I don't see a need why packages need to be maintained by single
> individuals, they should be maintained by collaborating maintainers.
> i.e. I am opposed to "package sponsoring" and to "assigning packages" to
> individuals, because this doesn't encourage collaboration.

Collaboration or shared responsibility is a good thing, but if and only
if, the people changing a package in CVS are members of an approved
group of people for that package, e.g. a maintenance team, otherwise
this is a recipe for disaster.

Embodied in the concept of a maintainer is a person that has unique
knowledge of that package, a history of why things were done a certain
way, what is happening upstream, what is the relationship to other
packages, what is happening the in maintainers local work area, etc.

If you allow random people to make random changes its going to create
problems. However, I do like the idea of a maintenance "team" that
avoids revision anarchy.
--
John Dennis <jdennis redhat com>