New Package Process

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 19:18:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 03:10:19PM -0400, Elliot Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Some considerations, which IMO hasn't had enough attention so far:
> > * I don't see a need why packages need to be maintained by single
> > individuals, they should be maintained by collaborating maintainers.
>
> That can happen, but it has to happen because
>
> We /have/ to have someone who is ultimately held accountable for making
> the package work. That's all the package maintainer is. How they get the
> work done (by themselves, through collaboration, etc.) is up to them. I
> agree that encouraging collaboration is good, but that needs to be done
> without compromising the leadership function of the maintainer.

I think we should add a second group of core developers who can also
add patches to all packages they feel confident. Put in a four-day
warning period and this should be pretty effective.

Seth needed this for startup and the same item will keep coming up
during further development.

greetings,

Florian La Roche