use of gtk-update-icon-cache?

F. Kooman fkooman at tuxed.net
Fri Apr 29 09:36:21 UTC 2005

I was browsing through some of the Fedora spec files and wondered why in
gedit.spec for example there is this section:

%post
# update icon themes
touch %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
  /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache --quiet %{_datadir}/icons/hicolor
fi

I'm not sure why it's there, the gedit package doesn't
use /usr/share/icons/hicolor to store it's icons, so an update (in this
directory) is not really necessary? I'm asking this because I'm trying
to build my own Gossip RPMs (and it's missing it's menu entry icon just
after installation). After rebooting (or just a new login) the icon
shows up.

	François