opendap is far from being 64-bit clean

Hi Tom,

In order to build nco for FC-4, I've first been trying to get opendap to
build.  The result is failures on x86_64 such as:

  http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs//4/337-
opendap-3.4.4-8.fc4/x86_64/build.log

Looking into the opendap code, I've found literally dozens of places
where pointer differences like the one above are treated as 32-bit int
values.

So, here are my questions:

 1) Is there some way to turn these errors into warnings and
    ignore them?  Is that what happens in FC-3?

 2) If the answer to (1) is "NO", then I assume that the code needs
    to be cleaned up.  Do you (as the opendep maintainer) intend to
    fix them?

 3) If the answer to (2) is "NO", then is it OK for me to remove
    opendap as a BuildRequires for nco since it is, after all,
    an optional feature?

I don't mean to be a pain, I'm just a little overwhelmed by the work
that appears to be be necessary to get opendap to build for FC-4 and
FC-5, etc.  And all I really want is an nco built for FC-4 and I'm just
not as concerned about having opendap support (although it would be
nice).

So what should we do?

Ed

--