Pre-Review: Asterisk

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Aug 4 10:34:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 11:31 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> I recall installing asterisk for a colleague, where timing was required,
> but I didn't have the right version of the zaptel modules for the running
> kernel. I think he was able to have asterisk use part of the USB subsystem
> for timing (!?) instead... anyway, it sounded weird at the time, and still
> does :-/

For the 2.4 kernel the zaptel kernel driver can use UHCI hardware as a
timing source. In the 2.6 kernel it doesn't even need that; it uses the
kernel's internal timer tick.

> I really wish they'd switch to using autotools, though :-/

Autotools are the work of the devil. They're responsible for most of the
pain I've had in trying to cross-compile software. I'm perfectly happy
with using real makefiles.

--
dwmw2