Request for Review: perl-Image-ExifTool

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Thu Aug 4 20:39:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 02:51:51PM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> ExifTool is a Perl module with an included command-line application for
> reading and writing meta information in image files. It reads EXIF, GPS,
> IPTC, XMP, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile and Photoshop IRB meta information from
> JPG, JP2, TIFF, GIF, PNG, MNG, JNG, MIFF, EPS, PS, AI, PDF, PSD, BMP,
> THM, CRW, CR2, MRW, NEF, PEF, ORF and DNG images. ExifTool also extracts
> information from the maker notes of many digital cameras by various
> manufacturers including Canon, Casio, FujiFilm, Kodak,
> Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Nikon, Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica,
> Pentax/Asahi, Ricoh, Sanyo and Sigma/Foveon.
>
> Again, this is a small perl module with a noarch "binary". Should be an
> easy review, this is textbook perl template packaging.
>
> SRPM:
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/perl-Image-ExifTool-5.53-1.src.rpm
> SPEC:
> http://www.auroralinux.org/people/spot/review/perl-Image-ExifTool.spec
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> ~spot

Yup, this looks like all the other dozens of simple perl module specs
I've put together based on the Fedora Extras guidelines (some day I may
even get around to submitting them to Extras!).

In any case, this is my first review of a package.  I just went down the
list on PackageReviewGuidelines.  So hopefully I got it right.

Review: perl-Image-ExifTool

Good:

- rpmlint returns nothing
- package name okay for perl add on
- spec file name matches %name
- meets PackagingGuidelines
- license okay (GPL or Artistic) for perl module, matches upstream
- spec is legible, in am. english
- source matches upstream
- package builds on FC4 (x86)
- no excluded BR, no missing BR
- no locales
- no shared/static libraries
- not relocatable
- owns all created directories
- no duplicate files
- file attributes okay
- %clean okay
- macro use is consistent
- code, not content
- no -devel or -docs
- included /usr/bin/exiftool worked for one of my photos

I don't think that I have any authority to go about approving packages,
but if I did, I would approve it.

-chris