Re: Splitting automated mail from human mail?

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 19:06 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:38 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Getting the mail on the tracker changes is most of what makes things
> > worse I think.  Otherwise, I really don't see a huge difference and I
> > think that the benefits are worth the high traffic -- it's at least
> > traffic with signal instead of just noise.
>
> Compared to the review discussion bugzilla mails:
> - Have lots of non-information on top - all the "please don't respond to
> this by mail" blaa and such.

Yeah, this part is unfortunate.  I'm not sure that we can really do much
about that :/

> - Don't have any context in them, to have the slightest clue you need to
> go and read the bugzilla entry itself.

I find the threading to really give me reasonable enough context...
especially as people seem to be being relatively verbose about things.

> - "foo bar com added to CC" type of mails are rather uninteresting.

We shouldn't be getting these -- I'll double check the email settings
with dkl

> Oh well ... these are relatively minor annoyances which can be dealt
> with procmail. One of my biggest irritations about these bugzilla mails
> here is probably mixing "real" email discussion with non-discussion
> mail, again procmail to the rescue. Having this stuff really trackable
> in bugzilla IS a very good thing.

The goal is that we should just be getting "actual" comment/discussion
mails.  Maybe the right thing to do is just to only get the bugzilla
mails on comment added and none of the other categories of bugzilla
changes...

Jeremy