Re: ppc buildserver problem

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 19:28 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 10:39:56AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > In any case, this is an interesting topic, since the build machines,
> > while blazingly fast, don't support Altivec, which most Fedora PPC users
> > have.  I'm not sure how to even differentiate between those jobs needing
> > Altivec (so they might go to a capable machine) and those jobs not
> > requiring it (so they could go to the POWER5).
>
> But the compiler is able to create Altivec code, should the source
> request it?

Probably, yes.  So building with Altivec is fine as long as the package
doesn't try to _use_ the built binaries.  Stuff like OpenOffice.org, for
example, builds a lot of little tools early in the build process, and
uses them later on.  That would break here if the package made CFLAGS
tell the compiler to generate altivec.

Dan