static libraries/devel subpackages

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Aug 22 13:51:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have some questions and comments regarding the packaging guidelines.

1) In the packaging guidelines there is a paragraph about
  Exclusion of Static Libraries
with is the following sentence:
"Static libraries should only be included in exceptional circumstances"

Should it really be followed? I may be wrong but all the packages I know
in extra distribute the static libraries in -devel subpackages.

2) It also seems to me that something about the devel subpackages is missing
in the packaging guidelines. More precisely I think that the following
should be stated:

* When should a devel package be done (I believe always if possible)
* what to put in -devel and non-devel package (in devel include files static
  libs, api documentation, .so file, lib-config utility, code samples)
  rpmlint does a good work at detecting some of these items.
* it should be noted that the -devel package should require the non devel
  package and how it should do so:
    - with
Requires:       %{name} = %{version}-%{release}
    - or
Requires:       %{name} = %{version}
* when the package consists only in static libraries, no binaries nor dynamic
  libraries what should be done? (I think that the principal package should
  not distribute any file such that there is only a -devel package. It is
  what libcaca does.)

--
Pat