static libraries/devel subpackages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Aug 22 16:41:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 17:59 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 18:36 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > > Seems reasonable to me...
> >
> > Ditto.
> >
> > > Could one not just name the main package
> > > "foo-devel" then, with no "main" package whatsoever?
> >
> > Just leave it at "foo", that'll result in less mess when upstream one
> > day introduces stuff that doesn't belong in the -devel package.
> Hmm? - IMO, the opposite is true.
>
> IMO, the only viable approaches are:
> 1. Let foo.spec produce foo-devel.rpm only.
> or
> 2. Let foo.spec produce foo.rpm only, but then let it
> Provide: foo-devel = %version-%release

Yes, fully agreed.  But that's not what I was talking about in the
above, nor do I think it's what the OP asked (note _main_ package).

Instead, I believe it was a question about providing _only_
foo-devel.spec, foo-devel...src.rpm and foo-devel...$arch.rpm, which I
don't think is a good idea.  Better to have foo.spec, foo...src.rpm,
foo-devel...$arch.rpm and the Provides for the main package in -devel.