foremost legality (GPL vs Public Domain)

Michel Alexandre Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 04:41:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 20:55 -0700, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> Putting a work in the public domain means giving up all
> copyright-law-related rights to it. This means that anyone is free to do
> whatever the heck they want with it; one such possibility is to include
> the source code in some other program and distribute the result under
> whatever license one feels like.

So it's even less restricted than the BSD licenses - you don't even
_have_ to provide attribution (though it's still nice to do so)?

Apologies for the misunderstanding - can't remember the last time I've
seen a licensing query involving public domain. SELinux is, of course,
public domain as well, though the possibility of it being forked is
probably quite remote.

- Michel