ksh discussion (WAS: Re: rpms/graphviz/devel graphviz.spec, 1.14, 1.15)

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Wed Aug 31 07:05:23 UTC 2005

On 08/30/2005 10:17 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 16:05 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
>>The details of ksh *are* different.
>
> Nowadays, shells are covered by standards, e.g. POSIX.
>

>> The fact that bash is at least as
>>capable, if not more so is not really relevant.
>
> Anything non posix compliant should be considered historical artifact.

Of course, but there is still MANY software out there that is not
POSIX-compliant. And there are still many scripts that use ksh -
thinking about working with AIX for example...

So, yes, if possible and easy, trying to get ksh out isn't a bad idea,
but we don't want to force developers to rewrite scripts that work fine
with ksh... Especially if there are things to do that are much more
interessting to do (in case of graphviz: dotedit).

-of