Sponsorship criteria

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 12:04:53 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> As a potential sponsor of a Fedora Extras contributor, what should I be
> looking for in a contributor when deciding whether or not to sponsor
> them? Are there any guidelines?
>
> Would this be different for someone looking to maintain a lot of
> packages rather than say an upstream project maintainer that wants to
> contribute just their own package(s) (at least for now)?

Candidates are to be judged on their knowledge and understanding of the
PackageNamingGuidelines, PackagingGuidelines, and other project process
and specifications.  If sponsors are not yet convinced after having an
approved package, is helpful for candidates to further participate by
helping to review packages submitted by other contributors in order to
further prove skills and knowledge to the sponsors.  There is probably
no better way to demonstrate a grasp of the guidelines than by making
beneficial advice to packages from other contributors.

It is a judgement call by the sponsors exactly how much work it takes to
prove this understanding.

Sponsors are also responsible for the education of sponsored members to
make sure they are doing the right thing.  If the newly approved member
appears to be lost or doing the wrong thing, the sponsor should be
watchful and helpful in correcting those problems and aiding their
understanding.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com